Screening colors and pictures are often of bad quality, even with good monitors (if for that reason only, paper is over the top for reading easiness, as it is not, well, back-lighted). For eyes comfort and graphical production, calibration is just needed.
– How to test-and-calibrate your monitor : @Photographe-de-mode.com (in french), @beesbuzz.biz, @NormanKoren.com, (…)
– What is Gamma ? @GestionDesCouleurs.com (in french), @ColorMatters.com, @Poynton.com, @Wikipedia, (…).
– What is Color temperature ? @Wikipedia, (…).
– About « Color technology« by Charles Poynton.
– LCD buying guide by CNET.com.
– Eye sore : @CommentCaMarche (in french), (…).