Bilingual magazine in français+english, ArtPress published a special issue on Media Arts, Conservation and Restoration (Arts technologiques, Conservation et Restauration) few months ago.
As Catherine Millet wrote, « It will be seen (…) that some of the problems involved in conserving media art are not so different from the difficulties arising with installations and other works involving ready-made objects. It will also become clear that technology-based arts are in fact continuing the reflection on the definition of art begun by Conceptual Art. For to address practical questions of maintenance is also to reflect on the status of the artwork in the age of its dissociation from its material support.«
Worthy bundle of links from the magazine :
– Archiving the Avant-Garde (Univ. Berkeley, US).
– CASPAR (Cultural, Artistic and Scientific knowledge for Preservation, Access and Retrieval, EU).
– DOCAM (Documentation and Conservation des Arts Médiatiques / Documentation and Conservation of the Media Arts Heritage, CA).
– Inside Installations (EU) – Project from 2004 to 2007.
– Matters in Media Art – From Tate Modern (London), the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (US), the MOMA (NYC, US), the New Trust.
– Variable Media Network – From the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (US) and the Daniel Langlois Foundation (CA).
– V2_Capturing Unstable Media (NL) – Project in 2003.
– Ars Electronica Archive.
– EAI Online Resource Guide for Exhibing, Collecting & Preserving Media Art.
– New Media Encyclopedia.
– Daniel Langlois Foundation (CA).
– Media Art Net (DE).
&& @WebOL :