Idsgn publishes a series called « Know your type« , with comments and graphical examples :
– Cheltenham, used by the New York Times.
– Gill Sans, sometimes called The Helvetica of England : « humanist sans-serif« .
– Clarendon, with a very US western frontier flavour.
– Gotham, famous in the noughties (2000-2009).
– Futura (+ on TypOL), inspired by the Bauhaus : « classic, geometric sans-serif« .
– Verlag, just think of the Guggenheim in NYC.
– Din, simply outstanding for readability all across Germany.